Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 00:54:52 -0500
From:      Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com>
To:        Charlie Root <root@hermes.niicommunications.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http

[ Please wrap your lines at around 72 characters.  If it weren't for gqG
  in vim, I wouldn't be repling to this :-) ]

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 at 23:48:06 -0600, Charlie Root wrote:
> greetings,
>
> I recently added auth_mysql and php modules to apache.  I just noticec
> on reboot however, that apache did not automatically load.  I have
> http_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and there is an apache.sh script in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d  I noticed there was no reference to http in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf so I am a little confused why it is not starting
> automatically.. anyone have any ideas?  thanks ..

Erm, you can't make up things to put in rc.conf.  The reason why there's
nothing in /etc/defaults/rc.conf is because no such rc.conf option
exists.  So, the first thing you need to do is remove http_enable="YES"
from rc.conf.  Just wondering what else you might have made up and
shoved in there scares the hell out of me.  The second thing you should
do is try to start the apache.sh script manually with:

   # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start

If it still doesn't start, check the apache config and the httpd error
log for clues.

- jim

--
- jim mock <mij@osdn.com> - O|S|D|N - open source development network -