Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:25:07 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chip <chip@wiegand.org>, David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why dual boot?

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-01-24 21:40:17, Brett Glass wrote:
> > At 07:21 AM 1/24/2002, chip wrote:
> > >I think I'll do a dual-boot setup just for the experience.
> > Friends don't let friends dual-boot.
>
> True, I don't let my friends dual boot.

Of course, this ignores the fact that most people *must* use
Windows for certain tasks, because the software for those
tasks is simply *nonexistant* in FreeBSD.

My own recent dual-boot setups were because it was either
that, or purchase two more Windows XP systems when I had
need of standard clients, that I expected customers to be
using, to test against the software I'm in the process of
developing.

I think the most common case of a new FreeBSD user is one
who is going to "try out FreeBSD" with some of the free
space on their (probably new) computer.  For this to work
out in FreeBSDs favor, the fear-factor has to be removed,
which is that you can undo the FreeBSD installation once
it has been done, and that you won't trash your Windows XP
(or other Windows) system.

The problem with this process right now is that the reason
for fear is very real.  As my experience demonstrated,
though, it's very real no matter what OS you are going to
try to install to "try out".  Nevertheless, we can expect
that any reduction in the rate of "try out" is going to
reduce FreeBSD adoption by new users, proportional to its
current market share.

This is a real concern.

It's really tempting to call Microsoft on some of thier
recent engineering to lock people into a Windows world,
particularly since the Tunney comment period on the
settlement is still open.  But that coses on Monday, and
I rather think that a well-thought-out argument would take
more effort than most peope think it's worth.  8-(.

Requiring Windows XP to include a repartitioning facility;
they already have the defragger code, and the partitioning
code (the former is there in the disk properties, the latter
in the installation) to take the fear out of it.

-- Terry