Date:      Mon, 13 May 2013 10:56:10 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qt3 -> qt4 question

On Mon, 13 May 2013 15:22:51 +0100
RW articulated:

> I'm not really sure what you are trying to do, but you can't simply
> replace qt33 with qt4, there may be some exceptions, but generally
> things depend on one or the other.
>
> AFAIK qt4 and qt33 only conflict through their build dependencies so
> it is still possible to mix the two, it's just a bit awkward. A
> relatively straightforward way to update would be to do it in two
> parts using ports-mgmt/pkg_cutleaves to remove all build dependencies
> before each stage.

The continued use of x11-toolkits/qt33 is about to end.

DEPRECATED=     No upstream activity since 2008; unmaintained
EXPIRATION_DATE=        2013-07-01

I removed x11-toolkits/qt33 from my system and then rebuilt the ports
that were dependent on it with qt-4. Only a few programs absolutely
needed x11-toolkits/qt33 and most of them are about to go away also.

--
Jerry ♔