Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:01:20 +0200
From:      des@des.no (=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Determining disk device and kicking GEOM when doing automatic mounting of umass devices

"Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@bitfreak.org> writes:
> So yeah I gueuss my fob is busted or funky.  The CAM errors are "just" the
> drive saying there's no media present, so maybe the device doesn't support
> the commands necessary to report disk capacity?  Is there a way to educate
> CAM about this so the attach procedure doesn't break?

It's a direct-access storage device.  It *can't* not support the READ
CAPACITY command.

> Why would the CAM errors prevent GEOM from creating the MBR geom during
> attach but not when trying to mount /dev/da0?

My guess is that the fob is marginal and takes a while to stabilize
after being plugged in.  GEOM first tastes it when it is plugged in,
it is still funky, and GEOM fails to read the partition table.  Then
you try to mount /dev/da0, it is opened r/w, which causes GEOM to
retaste it once it is closed; by that time, it has settled and the
second tasting succeeds.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no