Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 19:38:14 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@supernews.net>
Cc:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, "Vanilla I. Shu" <vanilla@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: USE_GTK and USE_GNOME

Ade Lovett wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 01:20:22PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > In general looks fine, however I would like to have a possibility for a more
> > fine-grained selection of main GNOME components (libs, core, controlcenter,
> > audio, print etc, something like USE_GNOMELIBS, USE_GNOMECORE, USE_GNOMEAUDIO
> > etc).
>
> Given that we're soon to have a massive reworking of the ports tree
> (I dunno, I'm ill for 72 hours and the whole world changes :), and given
> that GNOME 1.4 is likely to look a lot different than 1.2 (we're probably
> going to have two metaports, one containing all the basic functionality,
> and the other containing a bunch of "well-used" applications), I suggest
> that for now we go ahead with the singular USE_GNOME.
>
> It can always be fine-tuned later -- the important bit is to get the
> basic framework into the tree, instead of just sitting in Jeremy's tree
> (and my scratch tree, on occasion).

Then at least we should leave `RUN_DEPENDS=panel:blabla' as is, and remove implied
gnomecore LIB_DEPENDS from bsd.gnome.mk, because not all GNOME ports really require
gnomecore, so if we will merge gnomecore and gnomelibs into single USE_GNOME we
will loose information about exactly which ports require gnomecore and which
doesn't.

-Maxim