Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:24:37 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Borja Marcos <borjamar@sarenet.es>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabyte Athlon motherboard

At 16:51 10.01.00 +0100, you wrote:
>Rick Hamell wrote:
>>
>>         I've exerienced about an 8% loss on these motherboards due to
>> minor power surges alone, not to mention a multitude of small problems. I
>> highly suggest you go with Soltek or Asus, both work great under FreeBSD
>> and Windows if now problems.
>
>	Minor power surges? Loss? Do you mean *broken* boards?
>
>	Here in Spain it can be quite difficult to buy an Athlon
>Asus board... most dealers only carry the most frequently sold items.

Hi!

Well, german mag c't just tested some cases /power supplies, also regarding
the Athlon boards.
Some power supplies were _very_ sensible to minor power surges, like they
happen some times a day, because regulation circuits of the housing/power
plant let some additional power spike through...

And some boards happen to react more sensible than others.

c't mentioned, that in testing the 5 actual mainboards in November (issue
24), the Gigabyte died all of a sudden. but the replacement, they got from
Gigabyte, worked absolutely stable.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	www.nightfire.de		mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- The power to serve		ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)