Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:05:08 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, shocking@prth.pgs.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Narrow SCSI controllers, and using WIDE drives with them

> > Even without the "ultra" word, if you only have a single disk, and the
> > machine is a workstation, and you don't plan on swapping heavily, IDE
> > is very effective.
> >
> Another caveat (and I am IDE addict, due to cost), is that IDE drives
> often seem to have infant mortality problems.  I like IDE, but have also
> lost about 1/4 of the drives that I have bought due to early failures.
>
> Suggestion: do not trust your drive until you have used it for awhile.

I can second that one!!

Also I have had very bad DOA rates with Quantum disks, but those that
work, seems quite reliable...

It seems that if the drive survives the first 2-3 weeks of abuse
then its virutally impossible to kill :)

I have a Maxtor DiamondMax that has been dropped, overheated and
what not several times, and it still works like a charm :)