Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 21:30:45 -0400
From:      "Donald J. Maddox" <dmaddox@scsn.net>
To:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster 16 PnP

On Tue, Jul 29, 1997 at 11:22:10PM +0200, Peter Korsten wrote:
> EMANUELE COSTA shared with us:
> > 	I'm trying to install a Sound Balster 16 PnP and I've been told
> > that I should search for the OSS package. Could anyone help me?
>
> I was wondering, am I the only person who just looked under Windows
> 95 (tm) which resources the PnP Soundblaster 16 used and configured
> his kernel likewise? With just an PnP SB16 and a non-PnP Teles ISDN
> card, this works fine.

    No, you're not the only one, but this can work *only* if you have
a PnP BIOS that puts everything where it should be at boottime.  Not
everyone is so lucky.

> Of course, adding a PnP card would stir up things, but in my case
> that would mean rebuilding my kernel anyway (I stripped it to the
> bare essentials).

    Yeah, this is another misfortune of having to rely on the BIOS to
configure the PnP cards...  Adding a new PnP card will almost certainly
scramble your config :-(