Date:      Sun, 10 May 2009 01:00:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu>
To:        scholz@scriptolutions.com
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Posix shared memory problem

In <mit.lcs.mail.freebsd-arch/19461540.20090510064924@scriptolutions.com>
scholz@scriptolutions.com writes:

>JT> shm_open/shm_unlink refer to the filesystem; they are fairly direct
>JT> wrappers around open and unlink.
>
>Question is where are they stored?

In the fileststem, in the path that you specify.  They are just
ordinary files.

There was some thought that this was a bad (or at least
not-like-Linux) way of implementing this feature, so I believe
more-recent versions of FreeBSD do it differently.  When I wrote this
code, I could not see any reason for the "path" argument to be
interpreted differently from any other path.

-GAWollman