Date:      Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:39:50 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   fetch-recursive broken?  Is this a ports issue or just a problem with the PostgreSQL port?

We have a central system that our other servers NFS mount ports from.

[root@system /usr/ports/databases/postgresql82-server]# make fetch-recursive
===> Fetching all distfiles for postgresql-server-8.2.0 and dependencies
===>  postgresql-server-8.2.0 cannot install: the port wants postgresql82-client but you have postgresql81-client installed.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /export/ports/databases/postgresql82-server.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /export/ports/databases/postgresql82-server.

Why should the fetch-recursive target care what's installed?  Hell, I just
want the distfile on the server so I can install it on other machines.

I've seen this before in other ports, but I'm not sure if this is a problem
with the ports structure in general or certain ports specifically.  The
PHP port, for example, does the same thing under certain conditions.

Anyone care to comment?  Obviously there are workarounds, but I'd like to
get this "fixed" if possible.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.