Date:      Fri, 30 May 2003 12:11:41 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        michael@gargantuan.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom RBEM56G-100 and CURRENT

> From: "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
> Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 22:33:19 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Hey folks, need some guidance here from those in the know.  I am planning to
> stay CURRENT with my laptop, and I am looking for a good (maybe great?)
> 100Mb LAN card and 56k modem, and have been looking at the card referenced
> in the subject of this email.  I like the integrated ports a lot, but I
> can't justify buying this card without knowing whether or not it is fully
> supported (network (at 100/FULL) AND modem).  If any of you have experience
> with this card, or can recommend a better solution, I am all ears.  Thanks
> in advance for all replies!

I use this card and it works very well on both the Ethernet and modem
sides. But you MUST be running current. It will work on 5.1 when that
comes out in a week or so. It will not work with any V4 release or
stable as it is a CardBus (32-but) card. Only the Ethernet interface
will work with 5.0.

Finally, last I checked, removing the card (even on current) will panic
the system. If you insert this card, leave it there until you shut down
the system.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)