Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 10:42:25 -0300 (EST)
From:      "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Richard Chang <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject:   Re: hard reading error

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Richard Chang wrote:
>
> > 	I am experiencing a problem with my FreeBSD partition with a hard
> > reading error on my hard drive since someone accidentally kicked the
> > machine while it was running.  I had fixed the problem in DOS by
> > repairing it with Norton Disk Doctor, is there a way to do it under FreeBSD?

Hello Richard,

I correct this problem in my FreeBSD using the badsect program
When the error occurs the system display on the console: FSB NNNNNNNNN
where NNN is the sector number in error.
1) make a /BAD directory in the file system in error say: /usr/BAD
2) run badsect /usr/BAD NNNN NNNNN NNNN...
3) boot the machine with -s option.
4) run fsck /dev/rwdxx (xx) as indicated in the badsect output
5) answer to the fsck (y or n) according. (preserve BAD..., no remove
BAD, remove file...)
6) quit shell and let the system reboot.
7) recover deleted files listed by fsck. (from the cdrom for example).

That's it .

Sergio lenzi
Unix consult.