Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 18:51:52 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        thankhuu@cco.caltech.edu
Cc:        hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation update

> So it WAS my ATI Mach64 that was causing the blanking of the screen.  So
> I disabled si0-3 and it installed.  But as James Raynard told me, there
> is a bug in the 2.1 boot installation and it didn't boot correctly.  So I
> manually installed boot.bin and that worked too.  However, when I chose
> FreeBSD it gave me a
> 	panic: cannot mount root
> or something to that extent.  What now?

I don't seem to be having much success with boot blocks at the
moment. :-(

A simple way round this is to use the install floppy to boot from,
then type in

wd(1,a)/kernel

at the Boot: prompt.  (The first letter is 'w' if you have 2 IDE
disks, 's' if you have 2 SCSI disks and 'h' if you have one of each).

> By the way, when I boot it gives me the same boot screen as when i did
> from the floppy to install it and I have to use the -c option again to
> disable everything again.  Do I have to do that everytime I boot? I
> certainly hope not.

The kernel should save the changes after you boot with -c, so you
should only need to do it once.  Alternatively, read the instructions
in the Handbook on how to make a customised kernel which has only what
you need in it.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk