Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 12:59:01 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good PR

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> These stats are good news for *BSDers:
>
>     <URL:http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html>;
>
> The only thing that worries me is that with an uptime that long, they
> must be running a FreeBSD version with known security holes...
>
> DES

AFAIK, they are all webservers. A webserver protected by a firewall
and not running any services besides httpd does not necessarily need
to be patched for other exploits then those affecting httpd.
Im not saying its the right way to run a server, but in theory a
server running only httpd can safely ignore bugs in sshd, bind,
sendmail or whatever.
Patching httpd does usually not require a reboot so a fully patched
httpd can still run on a system with very long uptime.

To avoid flames, let me assure you that none of my servers have more
then ~50 days uptime since I frequently patch and even reinstall them.