Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:05:50 -0500
From:      exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Programming technique for non-forking servers?

Andrew Stesin writes:
> > Is forking on FreeBSD all that bad?
>
> 	Of course, no!
>
> 	But I have an impression that there's easier
> 	to implement locking of shared memory and file
> 	resources inside a single-process server than
> 	with some kind of IPC.  There is SysV IPC around,
> 	but it has it's limitations. Using mmap() as a shared
> 	memory pool? isn't so clear and transparent for me (at least
> 	now), and generally isn't documented; so the question
> 	remains opened, that's why I'm asking about
> 	where a Fine Manual resides which should be read.

This reminds me of a related thing that's been nagging me since I
first started writing Unix programs about 5 years ago.  Occasionally
(more often recently) I'm working on something that screams for a
couple of cooperating processes.. coming from the Amiga world, this
seems very natural, and on the Amiga it was very simple.  One process
opens up a "message port", and another process sends messages to it.
The closest thing I have seen is creating a socket in the Unix
domain.. but this doesn't seem very popular, so I get the feeling it
isn't often the right answer.

I suppose part of the problem is that I've learned mostly from man
pages, so I haven't read any of the canonical books on Unix or network
programming.

Of course, this is probably not the most appropriate place in which to
whine about this.

And while I'm at it.. I miss ARexx.  I keep wishing for something like
a Perl that runs as a daemon and provides unified scripting services to
other programs.
--
Christopher Masto  .   .   .   .   Superior Net Support: support@superior.net
chris@masto.com  .   .   .   .   . Masto Consulting:           info@masto.com

On Wisdom, Congressional:
 That's the most unheard-of thing I ever heard of.
 - Senator Joseph McCarthy, talking about a witness's testimony