Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:37:25 +0200
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PERC2 RAID support in 4.1-STABLE

In message <200010172210.e9HMAUh00566@mass.osd.bsdi.com>you write:
}> > Its a shorter PCI card than the others, single channel, SCSI
}> > LVD.  It has OK performance.  I am currently using it in a
}> > RAID0+1 type config.

I don't know how relevant this is but, i am evaluating a dell box
with a 'Dell Perc 3/si' it has at the moment only 2 IBM drives, so I can
only test raid0/1.

the following numbers are from (my)memory, and for sequential writes:
(numbers are in Megabytes / sec).
single disk:

raid turned off		~ 5
volume			~ 10/20 - speed increase with file size
+write cache		~ 40/20 - speed decrease with file size

doing raid0 (with 2 disks) does not change the picture much. at least with
my test program :-).

the first speed-up: have no idea - but maybe the 'i960RX 100MHz' steps in?
the second speed-up: seems to come from the cache - in my case 62MB.

cheers,
	danny