Date:      Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:34:30 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Beastie <beastie@homedc.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Leaving FreeBSD for Linux - Please Don't Hurt Me

Beastie wrote:

> Greetings !!!
>
> Whilst I may not have been much of a user of these mailing lists, I
> have been quite happy with the standards and quality of the
> information provided. Indeed, if I can find a life equivalent for
> "RTFM", I would use everyday.
>
> Alas, as the title says, I am leaving FreeBSD for the wonders of
> Linux.  The reasoning behind this is one of convenience; months ago, I
> was alone here in my hometown, playing and tinkering with FreeBSD.
> Then the store I am employed at moved me up the ladder to Leading
> Salesman (or something like that, effectively, I knew all the front
> part of the store - where things are, how much to sell them - so I can
> train the freshmeat that walks in). Suddenly, the server started
> playing up and it is on Linux (RedHat 7, I believe).  Well, despite
> being a computer store and despite having three full-time technicians
> and one full-time system builder, I was the _ONLY_ one with *nix
> skills - of any kind.  Me, the salesman.
>
> In the end, we upgraded the system completely, to Debian (and no, I
> wasn't involved) and now, to cut down costs, the boss has politely
> asked me to learn more about Linux in general, so that I can help out
> in any future problems.  So, I overwrote my FreeBSD HDD (*sigh*) and
> installed Fedora Core 3 - a nice and easy one to get my feet wet.
> Actually, compared to FreeBSD, this Linux is a bit of a walk in the park.

I moved to FreeBSD, from Linux, to learn more about Linux, Ironic I know
but Linux is now a walk in the park, like you said. The only problem now
is having been thoroughly converted into a *BSD advocate. With your
sales skills and UNIX know-how could you not just convert them to BSD?
do you have any Mac sales / support (you need to have BSD skills to
properly support Mac OS-X)?