Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:36:13 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Keith Powers <keithpowers@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster Live problem

Keith Powers wrote:
> I have a dual boot system, Win XP Pro/FreeBSD
> 4.6.2.
> The mobo is an Asus A7V266E, processor is AMD
> XP2000+, 512 MB DDR RAM, etc....
>
> I have a SoundBlaster Live! sound card, which I
> noticed was the source of a few problems in
> FreeBSD. Mine, after carefully following steps to
> create the device nodes, set permissions and all
> other mandatory exercises in configuration, will
> not output sound to my speakers. XMMS will
> launch, the CD is detected, tracklists work, and
> the CD plays, but there is no sound. I'm going
> crazy trying to figure it out... any help would
> be greatly appreciated.

The first thing to check is to make sure you have
the cable from the back of your CD-ROM connected to
your soundcard, and that the cable is in the
correct port.

If you are using the digital audio connection
on your CD-ROM and card, try switching to the
analog port to see if that works.

Also, check your mixer settings.

--
   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer