Date:      Sun, 07 Mar 2004 17:10:07 -0900
From:      Joe Pokupec <joepok@ninestar.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Java Install Continually Failing

Hi Guys,

I've had unsuccessful Java installs on 4.8 and 5.1 so I don't know what I'm
doing wrong.

I've downloaded the correct packages from the Java site and put them in the
/usr/ports/distfiles so this is not where the install fails. It appears to
give the following message:

Linging vm...
Arguments.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
Gmake[3]: *** [libjvm_g.so] Error 1

There's a ton of more error messages below this...

I was installing ports/java/jdk14

Thinking that this may have been a gmake, I installed that from the devel
port first, but the error still occurred.

Why is java so difficult to install? I've had it easy with all the other
ports, samba, apache, pico, etc...

Thanks

Joe