Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:18:15 -0500
From:      "Yousif Hassan" <yousif@alumni.jmu.edu>
To:        "Nate Lawson" <nate@root.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GPE handler livelock

Nate wrote:
> Thanks for digging into this.  I reviewed this and am trying to figure
> out why the _L00 handler never completes.  It keeps getting preempted by
> the next one.  To help track this down, try removing these two lines
> from the _L00 method and recompile your ASL:
>
>    Acquire (\_TZ.C173, 0xFFFF)
>    Release (\_TZ.C173)
>
> For others who have this problem, instructions on how to recompile and
> load your custom ASL can be found here (11.16.4 and 5):
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html

I'm not sure if my situation is exactly what you're referring to in
this note, but since my laptop is also an HP (nx6110), and since it also
hangs during thermal zone changes, I tried your suggestion.  It didn't
help, unfortunately.  I still get mutex problems when the thermal zone
increases.  My ASL did not have precisely the Acquire call you listed,
but it did have a similar one in method _L00 called
Acquire (\_TZ.C170, 0xFFFF) and Release (\_TZ.C170).  Also this pair
of calls was also found in one other place (further down) in the ASL.
I only removed the first pair in the method you instructed.
FWIW, here are the debug error messages when the machine hangs:

ACPI Exception (utmutex-0376): AE_TIME, Thread 28 could not acquire Mutex
 [0] [20070320]
ACPI Error (exutils-0180): Could not acquire AML Interpreter mutex
 [20070320]
ACPI Error (utmutex-0421): Mutex [0] is not acquired, cannot release
 [20070320]
ACPI Error (exutils-0250): Could not release AML Interpreter mutex
 [20070320]
ACPI Exception (utmutex-0376): AE_TIME, Thread 28 could not acquire Mutex
 [0] [20070320]
ACPI Error (exutils-0180): Could not acquire AML Interpreter mutex
 [20070320]
ACPI Error (psparse-0626): Method parse/execution failed [\_TZ_.C242] (Node
 0xc321c220), AE_TIME
ACPI Error (psparse-0626): Method parse/execution failed [\_TZ_.TZ1_._TMP]
 (Node 0xc321b9c0), AE_TIME

I put more info into PR 79080.

Let me know if you want me to try anything else.
--Yousif