Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 13:18:16 +0100
From:      "Aleksandar Simic'" <alex@frustum.clara.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>, Steffen Beyer <sb@engelschall.com>
Subject:   Re: Running netscape causes "libXt.so.6 bad magic number" error message

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 12:26:52PM +0200, Steffen Beyer wrote:

> Hello Mikko Tyolajarvi, in a previous mail you wrote:
>
> > Make sure you don't have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set when running
> > netscape.
>
> *** BINGO!!! ***
>
> After commenting out my setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH in /etc/profile
> (I am using an old /etc/profile from another machine - you probably
> know that, too - always carrying with you the configuration that
> worked (never change a working configuration!) :-) ) everything
> worked absolutely flawlessly!

Well I found a solution too, but mine is slightly different since I
didn't have the LD_LIBRARY_PATH declared.

In order to get the native version of Netscape to work, declare:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH_AOUT=/usr/X11R6/lib/aout; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH_AOUT
                ^^^^

deinstall and reinstall netscape and voila, it works :)

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions :)

--Alex