Date:      Thu, 9 May 2019 11:55:03 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        Stephen Patrick <stephen@cablefree.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TDMA Wireless status?

hi!

Ok, so the 30 second version:

* the AR54xx, AR91xx and later 11n chips had some changes to the resolution
of the timers that Sam used to control transmit timing and windows; that
should all work fine;
* there's no rate control right now, it's "stuff as many frames into the
queue and let the hardware transmit what it can when it can"; that isn't
optimal but it works fine;
* Sam didn't publish code to support >1 STA but I don't think it'd be hard
to add that support.

SO, out of the box the basic TDMA bits work. But!

The important gotcha - on the AR9380 and later chips the DMA engine logic
changed. The "FIFO" model uses a FIFO of TX descriptor lists. The earlier
model just had  TX descriptor list that you would append to. Unfortunately
when they added that they changed the ungate to ungate a single FIFO entry,
rather than run the DMA engine until all the txop timers had completed.

So for example if you pushed in eight individual packets into 8 FIFO slots
in the voice queue and then you got a voice TxOP, you may notice you're
only getting a /single/ FIFO slot - ie, one packet - each TxOP.

This shows up when doing TDMA because, unfortunately, the TDMA TX uses the
TxOP window to control how long each TDMA burst is. So if you only fill in
a couple of frames per FIFO slot, it will only transmit a couple frames per
TXOP window. I did some hackery in if_ath_tx_edma.c to try and build up
larger lists of frames to send to the hardware and it proved that i can hit
the theoretical max. But it's not optimal, because say you only send 3/4 of
your frame list in a single FIFO slot. Well, the next TXOP it'll only send
the last 1/4 and then stop until the next TXOP when it'll grab the next
FIFO slot. So, the "right" behaviour would be to push roughly a TXOP worth
of frames into a FIFO slot and hope that you're mostly hitting the
theoretical maximum.

I never got around to implementing AMPDU on it because, well, I got busy
with life. AMPDU is a bit of a pain because we'd have to implement delayed
block-ack in net80211 and .. again, I never got around to it. It's not
impossible, but someone's gonna have to do it. (ie, you'd send A-MPDU
bursts during your TxOP and then there would be either a delayed block-ack
response in the next burst from the receiver, or it would use its beacon
interval to piggyback the delayed block ack on.)

I hope that helps!

-adrian