Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:26:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Slab allocator update

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     It might be beneficial to introduce two versions of your free function,
>     one which does not require the size and another, faster version which
>     does, and then slowly adjust the kernel to use the new function as well
>     as add sanity checks for INARIANTS to ensure we don't accidently leak
>     or corrupt memory by specifying the wrong size.
>
> 						-Matt

I would love to do this, but I thought I'd encounter too much friction.
Implementing this would remove the special cases for malloc, and I could
implement more memory effecient slab formats.  Specifying the wrong size
would cause you to try to free to the wrong zone, which uma can catch
easily.

Assuming everyone agrees with this, I'll do it after the initial version
is checked in and tested.

Thanks,
Jeff