Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 17:52:01 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        fcurrent@jraynard.demon.co.uk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make -j install fix

>Having investigated this a little more, I think the following is
>better than the diff I posted a few days ago (there seems to be
>a window where /bin/sh isn't there and execv() returns ENOENT -
>also one second seems a little short to sleep).  Comments?

Changing make seems too special.  Try using install -C in src/bin/sh.
This should install /bin/sh atomically.

There may be related problems for installing shared libraries.  I
use install -C to install everything, without worrying much about
concurrently running processes, but a missing shared library or
ld.so is sometimes noticed.  -C is the default for ld.so, but not
for shared libraries.

Bruce