Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2000 19:01:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        Mike Bristow <mike@urgle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re/Fwd: freebsd specific search

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Mike Bristow wrote:

> True; but linux has support for a bigger variety of soundcards
> (my Win98^H^H^H^H^H^HEverQuest machine now has a Live! in it; supported
> under Linux but not under FreeBSD AFAIK; so the other half of the disk
> may turn turn into ext2 rather than ffs)

Well if you buy esoteric or just cheap hardware...

> I generally get the feeling that `Workstation Hardware'[1] has a better
> chance of being supported under Linux than FreeBSD.  I may be talking rubbish,
> though ;-)

Cheap hardware has a better chance of being supported.

If you stick with the name brand stuff, you could piece together a box
that'll work great and work great with FreeBSD.  Me, I've got my Micron PC
(which was a pretty good deal when I bought it), and the onboard sound is
AFAIK supported by that comercial Linux sound driver, but nothing else.
The box also came with an AWE64, therefore I'm happy.

- alex