Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 22:38:25 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcsh - Imported sources

Sue Blake wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 12:05:17AM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > David E. O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> >
> > >   Import the latest version of the 44BSD C-shell -- tcsh-6.09.
> >
> > I'm unhappy about this for a reason that hasn't even been mentioned
> > in the monster thread that clogged -arch:
>
> (And who would have thought to look for it there anyway.)

	Because that's what -arch is for. Big ticket decisions that affect the
architecture of the base system. If you haven't read that thread, please
check it out in the archives before commenting further. In any case,
-chat is certainly NOT the place for this kind of discussion. Both
because -chat is highly optional, and therefore decision makers could
easily miss it, and because -chat's charter specifies, "Non-technical
items."

> Absolutely! This kind of shell does not belong in the base system.

	But it already was in the base system, but it was called csh. The
version of csh we had was simply a very old version of "tcsh." All of
this was covered already on -arch, along with most of the rest of the
points you posted.

	Anyone who wants to continue this thread should do it on -arch, AFTER
reading the archives.

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.