Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:34:49 +0100
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
To:        Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: UNEXPECTED SOFTUPDATES INCONSISTENCY

Hi Heinrich Rebehn,
you wrote.

>> Make sure you've disabled write caching on the drive firmware
>> itself...
HR> Does this also apply for RAID disks (twe)? Also, there is no word about
HR> this in man tuning(7). Is this more of a guess or is softupdates
HR> definately dangerous with wite cache enabled?

I'd say it's the other way round: write cache is dangerous with
softupdates. Softupdates itself is certainly better than no
softupdates, even if it takes a slight performance drop by disabling
write cache.

I think you should disable the write cache on the 3ware cache (not
sure whether there actually is one, mine don't come with any RAM
sockets) anyway as you'll lose all data in there in the event of a
crash.

Regards,
Gabriel