Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:25:28 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Reinaldo Rios" <reinaldo_rios@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD run on laptop computers?

Please put a subject on messages!

It does, but there are a few laptops that have problems of varying
severity. Most typical is with built-in modems. They are typically
Winmodems and won't work with FreeBSD. Another common trouble spot is
sound, although they can usually be gotten up with enough trial and
error.

APM can fail on certain systems, too.

The biggest problem is with the new IBM laptops (T, A, and X series)
All 21s and later 20s will lock up solid when a FreeBSD partition is
present. This is a BIOS problem and only recoverable by removing the
offending drive and re-labeling the partition on another system.

My IBM 600E runs great with FreeBSD and I have no APM, sound or other
problems. Sound required a small patch to get working reliably. Other
then that, it's fine.

For lots of good information on laptops, subscribe to freebsd-mobile.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)