Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 00:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/21476: ftp in 4.1-STABLE fails on http:// URLs

The following reply was made to PR bin/21476; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com>
To: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:13:23 +0300

 On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 06:21:42PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
 > Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com> writes:
 > > It is actually because RFC does not say that the HTTP/1.0 request without
 > > a Host: header MUST be answered with a 400 error.  It may, however, be
 > > answered with a 404 error (like in this particular case).
 >
 > The bottom line being that your claim that Apache was not standards-
 > conforming was not correct in this case.

 Yes, I was wrong.

 > Regarding the PR, I'd suggest that the originator considered using
 > fetch(1) instead of ftp(1) for HTTP as well as for simple,
 > non-interactive FTP requests.
 >
 > I'd also like to suggest that the URL functionality and the HTTP code
 > be ripped out of ftp(1), but I'd probably ble flamed to hell and back
 > by all the armchair generals out there, so I won't.

 I am in favor of ripping this from ftp(1) though one may consider to
 merge the latest NetBSD's fetch.c which does:

 /*
  * Retrieve URL, via a proxy if necessary, using HTTP.
  * If proxyenv is set, use that for the proxy, otherwise try ftp_proxy or
  * http_proxy as appropriate.
  * Supports HTTP redirects.
  * Returns -1 on failure, 0 on completed xfer, 1 if ftp connection
  * is still open (e.g, ftp xfer with trailing /)
  */

 And yes, it sends Host: header in requests.

 --
 Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
 ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,