Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 20:25:55 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        rcarter@geli.com
Subject:   Re: Case for FreeBSD presentation docs?

In addition to the other observations:

1. Linux has dreadful nfs performance.  I can supply ample details.
   But maybe you should ask the Linux folks.  There doesn't appear to
   be hope anytime soon, either.
2. Linux ncr scsi (up until a month or so ago, maybe still) is broken.
   It is a sad thing to watch the ncr list.  And what about performance 8-0.
3. I am running a 4 cpu cluster with scalapack and FreeBSD-somewhat-current.
   Just starting to benchmark it.  BLACS, PB-BLAS, LAPACK all build and test
   fine.
4. My company just bid for a project that uses Intel Paragons up till now,
   but price/performance with FreeBSD and the ASUS TP4-PB is 8x better (for
   the same performance).
5. I have pvm3, mpich, and nxlib up and running real problems.
6. And hot off the presses: dgemm runs 14-23 MFlops/sec with gcc-i2.6.3.
7. You can get > 5MB/s from commodity disks. (Maybe that weird non-local
   memory caching idea is not so important ;-)
8. Matt's comments on 100BaseT vs. FDDI performance are true, but the
   price is not similar.  But the upshot is there are at least 2 10MB/s
   technologies supported.  (Thanks to Matt).

Succintly, I can build scalable 2k Flops/sec/$ systems using FreeBSD.  Not even
the most recent J-90 comes close.

Cheers,
Russell