Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 2003 02:14:16 -0600
From:      Graham Bakay <>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   cdrom speed tunable?

hello everyone,

does anyone know if there is a method (perhaps a kernel tunable) to force a
cdrom drive to spin at a certain speed? i'm looking to slow down my cdrom
drive. these newfangled contraptions sound like jet airplanes when they get
up to speed. i long for the days of yore with 2x, 4x, or for crazy quickness,
8x drives. at least they were quiet, and didn't vibrate like crazy.

tia,
graham bakay
(please reply to me as well as the list, as i'm not subscribed. i just read it
in digests).