Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 14:14:56 -0700
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        khetan@iafrica.com (Khetan Gajjar), hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd@iafrica.com, danielc@iafrica.com
Subject:   Re: Fingering other servers broken in 2.2 and -current ?

> > I've noticed a oddity on some FreeBSD 2.2 and 3.0-current machines. If I
> > finger a user on a public host of ours, I just get the hostname in square
> > brackets i.e. [servername.somewhere.org] and nothing else.
> >

> You must recompile fingerd; the structure of utmp has recently changed
> in -current.

   Er, no.  Finger on FreeBSD 2.2 and later tries to use T/TCP by default.
I'd probably call this a bug, since it causes finger to not work properly
with the majority of servers extant on the Internet.

   To disable T/TCP with finger, supply the "-T" option to finger:

   finger -T user@some-non-FreeBSD-host

  The only reason I can guess for this slipping through is that it was
only tested on an homogenous FreeBSD network, where it works perfectly.

  Unless someone can present a good reason for finger being broken WRT
the vast majority of servers out there, I'll send-pr this.

    -Dave