Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 14:14:26 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Tadaaki Nagao <tada@rr.iij4u.or.jp>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, ales@megared.net.mx
Subject:   Re: Fxtv 1.04beta -- PLEASE TEST compile error

 |In message <20020615230429.GA3143@nc.rr.com>,
 |    Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com> wrote:
 |> Say that's a thought, do you have the buffer port installed?  I have
 |> buffer-1.17.1 installed here.
 |(snip)
 |> Tadaaki and Alejandro, please let me know what you find regarding the
 |> buffer utility.
 |
 |That is it!  I've just installed /usr/ports/misc/buffer, and
 |everything works fine now!

Whoohoo!  Yes!  Much more likely to be fixable in Fxtv.  Probably something
simple related to process handling I'll bet.  I was concerned this might be
some obscure kernel bug (might still be, but...) with no application
work-around.

 |To sum up,
 |			w/o buffer		w/buffer
 |	MPEG Ready	    OK			   OK
 |	MPEG		    OK			   OK
 |	FFMPEG Ready	script doesn't work	   OK
 |	FFMPEG		kernel crash		   OK
 |
 |If installing the buffer port also works for Alejandro, it would be a
 |good idea to add a port dependency on buffer to the fxtv port.

No, probably not.  For the same reason mpeg_audio, mpeg_encode, ffmpeg,
etc. aren't dependencies.  Dependency in the ports world means required
dependency.  You can use Fxtv without doing any audio or video encoding, so
you don't want package installs to fail or force installing bunches of
other cruft it you won't use this.

However, it sure as heck shouldn't crash your machine if you don't have it
either! ;-)  I'm in the middle of something else today, but I'll dig into
this in the next day or two and figure out what's going ape.

 |Anyway, being able to crash a kernel from userland, is kind of a kernel
 |bug. :-)

Under normal circumstances, I agree.  Blasting video frames into random
memory pages probably voids the warrenty ;-), but I don't think that's
what's going on here.

 |If you are interested, I can produce a crash dump and its stack trace.

Don't go to the trouble yet, but I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Randall