Date:      Sat, 7 Jan 2017 02:48:46 +0000
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsnap temporary files

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 06:51:44 +1100 (EST)
Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Is there some reason why portsnap cannot clean
> up /var/db/portsnap/files? I've just had to remove a zillion of them,
> a bunch at a time because "rm" choked on the arg list.

If you mean files under /var/db/portsnap/files/ then these are not
temporary files, they are the compressed snapshot, and you should not
delete them without very good reason. They are supposed to persist and
may remain unmodified for many months.

Zillion is a bit vague, there should be one file for each port plus one
for each file outside a port directory. I have ~27k files.

The temporary .gz files are stored in the directory above and may be
deleted.