Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 19:54:03 +0200
From:      "Klaus A. Brunner" <k.brunner@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   password length limit?

Is there an arbitrary length limit for user passwords in FreeBSD?

On my FreeBSD 2.2.6 system, I created a user "test1" and assigned it the
password "asdfgjkl99" (10 characters). However, I can log in using the
passwords "asdfgjkl" (8 chars) or "asdfgjkl33" (first 8 chars
identical). It seems that only the first 8 characters of the password
are significant.

Is this a bug or a feature? I couldn't find anything about it in the
docs, except "man passwd(1)", which says that a password's total length
must not exceed _PASSWORD_LEN, which is supposed to be 128 characters.

TIA,

-- Klaus A. Brunner	Austria, Europe
-- k.brunner@acm.org	http://unet.univie.ac.at/~a926334/