Date:      Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:17:12 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Torgeir Hoffmann <twhoffma@student.matnat.uio.no>
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot with newly compiled kernel, or kernel.old after upgrading to RELENG_6

On Sunday 04 December 2005 01:18 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Sunday 04 December 2005 12:56 pm, Torgeir Hoffmann wrote:

I thought that I should pass on problems that I encountered during my
update from 5-stable to 6-stable.

I cvsup to 6.0-release, copied GENERIC to RUBY. Ruby is the computer
that I was upgrading. I cd'ed into /usr/obj and rm -rf *. You don't
need to bother about changing the flags. /usr/obj/usr and descendants
just disappeared.

After the cvsup, I cd'ed into /usr/src and did a "make cleandir" 2
times. This was all before I did my first buildworld.

After, I finished the buildworld and kernel, I tried to do the boot -s
but right now FreeBSD does not handle the Netgear GA311 1000baseT NIC
properly. If I didn't do a power down in the transition it would panic.
It isn't reseting the NIC properly. Windows XP does and FreeBSD
doesn't. FreeBSD handles a power up just fine. Doing a power down and
then booting to FreeBSD 6-stable only adds 20-30 seconds to the overall
boot time. It is not that irritating :).

Ruby is my source machine. I do port builds on it and create packages.
Not all packages will install and work properly. For example, KDE has
never upgraded properly with packages that I build on ruby and move to
my other computers. Right now, if I build packages on ruby and use
them, kmail disappears. I use kmail 100% except for yahoo, gmail and
hotmail. Both Yahoo and Hotmail are webmail.

For the gmail account I use mozilla-thunderbird. Rain and shine
thunderbird works. Even in the middle of the upgrade to 6-stable, I
could use thunderbird. Kmail is part of a system and thunderbird is a
standalone product. I would be surprised if thunderbird didn't work.

Updating my ports was a bit confusing. Openssl demands to be changed to
openssl-stable. I finally let it. I found that later it would upgrade
to the current version. Just ignore it for starters.

Ports with problems - Audio on FreeBSD 5-6 is a toss up. It doesn't
matter which port you use. I have 3 computers with Creative sound cards
and 5.1 speakers. The current emu10k1 drivers use the speakers behind
me. It is kind of bothering to me to listen to audio when the sound is
playing behind me :).

It doesn't really affect me because I always have one of the computers
on my kvm switch running XP and XP plays the audio out of the right
speakers, i.e., the front ones :). If I use Windows Media Player, I can
let my friends know who I am listenting to. So, I am sitting here
listening to "Mi sangre tour" de Juanes on XP and working on my FreeBSD
machines. FWIW, the cd has suround sound effects and having them come
out of the correct speakers is not spatially confusing :).

With the exception of a confused sound setup, I have had no problems
with 6-stable after I got all of my ports upgraded to 6-stable.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA