Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:18:25 -0600
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, ticso@cicely.de
Subject:   Re: ZFS i/o errors - which disk is the problem?

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 11:10:06AM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Peter Schuller wrote:
>>> I can believe a problematic SATA controller (it's an add-on PCI board),
>>> but does anyone know of a way to ask ZFS which devices in a pool it
>>> thinks has issues?
>> That is exactly what zpool status is intended to tell you. That is, the=
=20
>> disks that you are seeing checksum errors on are the ones seeing the=20
>> faults. In your case both drives show checksum errors (for some reason).
>=20
> Yea, I suspect it's the cheesy SATA controller I stuck in the system.  I=
=20
> suppose I will rebuild my NFS server with different hardware :(

We've definitely seen cases where hardware changes fixed ZFS checksum error=
s.
In once case, a firmware upgrade on the raid controller fixed it.  In anoth=
er
case, we'd been connecting to an external array with a SCSI card that didn't
have a PCI bracket and the errors went away when the replacement one arrived
and was installed.  The fact that there were significant errors caught by Z=
FS
was quite disturbing since we wouldn't have found them with UFS.

-- Brooks

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd--