Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 97 22:17:57 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Karl Denninger" <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, "lists@tar.com" <lists@tar.com>, "Terry Lambert" <terry@lambert.org>
Subject:   Re: Moving to a more current BIND

	This is exactly the kind of debate I didn't want to get into, so
I'll respond just this one time.

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997 20:04:14 -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:

>On Sun, Aug 03, 1997 at 04:58:42PM -0800, Studded wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Aug 1997 15:54:54 -0700 (MST), Terry Lambert wrote:
>>
>> >On the specific issue of the most recent "bind", I have a problem.
>> >
>> >Someone has stated that their new "bind" is complaining about my
>> >use of an alias record as the name of my DNS server.
>>
>> 	This has always been an error, but BIND 8.1.1 is more vocal about
>> it now.  TMK BIND 4.9.6 does not exhibit any differences in relation to
>> this from the BIND 4.9.4 we had in the tree.  In any case, what you're
>> doing will still work, and 8.1.1 allows you to send those error messages
>> to /dev/null if you like.
>>
>> >This is a bogus thing for it to do, since it is imperitive that
>> >you be able to use a DNS rotor for DNS services, if you have
>> >equivalent servers for reasons of fault tolerance.
>>
>> 	Without going into too much detail that's better left for
>> bind-users@vix.com, a dns rotary is certainly not "imperative," and BIND
>> is actually pretty smart about sending its queries to the one of your name
>> servers that is in the best network position to it.
>
>A CNAME can *only* point to an "A" record.

	This is not accurate.  A CNAME record can refer to another CNAME
record, although this is not related to this question.

>Using CNAMEs in NS lines is in violation of the BIND rules and will break.

	It is a violation of the spec, but it will also work.  Just for
fun, I added an ns record for a cname.  From an 8.1.1 system to another,
and from a 4.9.6 system nslookup specifying the cnamed server worked fine.
 I don't use this feature myself, but I know others that do (with 8.1.1
systems) and it works.  That doesn't mean it's a good idea.  In the future
compatability for this could end.

	For the details on why this is bad, see the BIND FAQ,
/usr/src/contrib/bind/doc/misc/FAQ.2of2 Question 6.6.

>Don't do it.  If you do it, people using BIND 8.1.1 *CANNOT RESOLVE YOUR
>DOMAIN*.  That includes, among others, us.

	You might consider double-checking your setup.  It *should* work,
but that still doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Doug

The man who fears nothing, loves nothing.