Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:16:35 -0400
From:      Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
To:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: Easy way to copy CD-ROM > MS-floppy?

Hi Ken! -- my hero.

Ken McGlothlen wrote:

> Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> | Q2: Are there any other configuration files that I should make copies
> | of in preparation for the new system? (Note: I want the new system to
> | have the same capabilities as the old system.)
>
> Uh . . . depends on what capabilities you're talking about. ...

Gateway, firewall, www server, mail, LAN file server. Command line, not
GUI, though GallantWEB has nice, built in web browser-based system
management (hope I don't have to install X for that).

> ... Last I
> understood, you hadn't gotten the GallantWEB system working the way you
> wanted.

It runs! 8^) That's saying a lot. It came up running. When I tried to
install release 3.3 two years ago, it wouldn't install. GallantWEB at
least comes up running, though it doesn't have support for my ethernet
cards, hence my desire for 4.5.

> If it were me, I'd back up the entire /etc directory.  At the very
> least, rc.conf, resolv.conf, exports, passwd, hosts, fstab, group,
> hosts.allow, inetd.conf, master.passwd, ntp.conf, syslog.conf, and the
> kernel file in /sys/i386/conf.  Also, if you have an Apache
> installation, httpd.conf in the apache directory (typically
> /usr/local/etc/apache). ...

Thanks for the list. I've already backed up all the '.conf' files I could
find. I'll back up the rest in your list.

> ... I'd also back up any user data I wanted to
> keep.  I'd also get a list of what ports I had installed that I'd
> consider critical.

No data files, but I did find a bunch of GallantWEB html help files and a
whole directory of... cgi-bin (jackpot!!) ...to back up for insertion in
the new 4.5 system. (...Yes, I know that the cgi-bin may need to be
revised or, hopefully not, discarded...)

> | Important Facts
> | ===============
> | * The existing installation has *no* man pages.
> | * The existing installation has *no* MS-DOS clone commands (e.g.,
> |   "mcd", "mcopy", etc.)
> | * I could not figure out if the system has what it takes to mount an
> |   MS-DOS file system -- I don't know where things are.
> | * The resulting floppy must be readable by Win98SE.

It will indeed be a pleasure when I have a running 4.5 system to play
with.

> Well, okay.  There's still a way you can do this.

-[snip some of my whining]-
> Try
>
>         # mkdir /floppy
>         # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
>
> Now, of course, you have no MSDOS commands, so what you might want to do
> is make a tarball with the files:
>
>         # tar cvfz /tmp/saveme.tar.gz /etc/fstab ...
>
> where you replace "..." with all the files you want to save.
>
> Now comes the tricky part.  You've got to write it onto the floppy.
>
>         # dd if=/tmp/saveme.tar.gz of=/dev/fd0
>
> This writes the raw bitstream onto the floppy.
>
> On the Windows box, you can read this with RAWREAD, a third-party program.

Aha! I use Windows Commander, a really superior file manager for
ms-windows. It has built-in zip, and rar, and tar, tgz, binhex,...
everything, plus it can straighten out <cr><lf> and even has a built-in
FTP client. I highly recommend it for anyone who uses ms-windows and wants
to be able to do serious work.

> Got all that?

Yup! Thanks. -- Mark
--