Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2018 20:49:36 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dependencies that are needed both to build and run a port

I have hit an issue with the "normal" way dependencies are declared in
ports. An example I hit was with graphics/mesa-dri. It needs py-mako both
to build and to run. It is declared as a BUILD_DEPENDS (for appropriate
GPUs). The problem is that it is that a build dependency and py27-mako does
not show mesa-dri as a dependent port, so looks like it may be deleted. Thi
is common because, before the pkg system, if a dependency was present at
build-time, it was also there at run-time. For functionality, this is still
true, but yields a vroken dependency tree.

If I add a RUN_DEPENDS to the mesa-dri, py27-mako does show that mesa-dri
is dependent, although mesa-dri still does not show py-maku as a
dependency. (I don't understand this.) I htink this has resulted in many of
the broken dependency trees I have hit on and I suspect that there are
quite a few of them.

In any case, I think that it should be be clear that a dependency that is
needed both to build a port and to run it must be declared as both a run
and build dependency.

Now I need to stare at the .Mk files for a bit and and see if I can figure
out why a RUN_DEPENDS does not get a listing as a dependency from "pkg info
-d".
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com