Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:15:04 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   distributed natd

Hi all!

I've been thinking about ways to improve the robustness of my firewall
and I came up with the following idea, so I thought I'd run it past
some other people for feedback.

The idea is to run two (or more) firewalls in parallel in such a way
that if one failed the other one would pick up the slack without users
noticing.

With our current firewall, we generally proxy connections, but for
some things (mostly SSH) we just let it through ipfw, using natd to
translate a "virtual" external address to the internal address of
the target host.

It occurred to me that if you could make a "distributed" natd, then
you could actually get everyone to use virtual addresses for everything,
and use dynamic routing to control which firewall handles the traffic.

As far as I can see, the requirements for doing this are:

	a way to restrict the port numbers that natd will use so that
	each firewall will have a unique range

	a way for the natd processes on each firewall to tell each other
	when they set up or delete a translation

	a way for a starting natd process to obtain a state table from
	the natd processes on the other firewall(s)

	a way to tell each natd process what its "peers" are

Obviously, this wouldn't work terribly well with stateful packet
filtering...

I haven't even begun to look at the code for natd, but can anyone
see any fatal flaws in the concept?

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319