Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 08:13:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Paul Halliday <dp@dove.penix.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        bob smith <sfmc68@bellatlantic.net>
Subject:   Re: SRM Firmware upgrade queston, 164LX driving me nuts.

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 06:31:16PM -0500, bob smith wrote:
> > I get the update prompt, UPD> and I tell it to update firmware.
> >
> > Now, here is where I get confused ;
> > the releasenotes, page 11, talks about a floppy with file
> > LX164SRM.ROM (downloaded from the ftp site) but the directions
> > from the site don't seem to say anything bout this, all they
> > talk about is createing the fwupdate.exe.
> >
> > Going thru the archives I have kept since 2000, I see a lot of refs to
> > 164 SRM one ref to 164LX alphabios problem, but no reporrt of success
> > getting the puppy over to srm.
>
> It can be done -- I did it about 1 1/2 ago.  IIRC the obvious place to
> download the SRM bits from had directions that either didn't work or
> didn't make sense (I don't recall).  I either found another directory in
> the firmware collection that gave better directions; or I used the
> pervious firmware collection that had other directions.
>
> I know this isn't much help, but I did want you to know it can be done;
> and we'd *love* to have the steps documented in the email archive once
> you figure them out.

ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/archive/alphapc164lx.html

"Copy the files to a FAT formatted floppy as : fwupdate.exe
(The filename must remain unchanged and placed in the top-most level
directory on the floppy.)
Place the floppy disk in the target system
Select "Update AlphaBIOS" from the AlphaBIOS menu."

-ph