Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:10:34 -0400
From:      Walter Betancourt <walt@betan.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tmp and var to usr/tmp and usr/var

Thanks for the reply Mike,

Following the manual to setup /usr/tmp and /usr/var gets you no place,

search on google finally found a mailing list (not freebsd) posting that
after going to single user mode

mount -u /
mount /dev/ad0s1f  /usr
and mount as necessary,

can then make /usr/tmp and usr/var with ln -s links from /tmp and /var

then ctrl-d  gets out of the whole thing and does normal boot.

This really took me a long time to find.

was not in manual, diary, faqs or freebsd mailing lists archives, (or
search not found)

but alls well that ends.

thanks much for you help.

At 01:02 AM 7/28/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Walter Betancourt <walt@betan.com> types:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > can someone get me out of this cage,
> >
> > trying to make /usr/tmp and /usr/var and remove /tmp and /var then link to
> > /usr/tmp and /usr/var
> >
> > can create /usr/tmp and /usr/var ok and move /var contents to /usr/var ok
> >
> > trying to rm -rf /tmp or /var gets 'device busy'
> >
> > tried single user mode,
> >
> > get 'file system read only'
> >
> > tried /mount -u /
> >
> > can then remove /var and /tmp and ln -s to /usr/var and /usr/tmp
> >
> > but then cant get out of this mode.
>
>What have you tried to get out of single user mode? reboot should
>work. Exiting the current shell should also work without reloading the
>kernel.
>
>If you've tried those and they don't work, what happens and what error
>messages do you get.
>
>         <mike
>--
>Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>                      http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
>Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

Walt