Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:35:40 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail / Fetchmail / Procmail / Mozilla

# nkinkade@dsl-only.net / 2002-12-01 12:03:18 -0800:
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 07:45:37PM +0100, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> <snip>
> > > If I want to use fetchmail to snag email from say 4 different pop acounts
> > > and then filter it with procmail and use mozilla to read it (which I've
> > > read is trivial to do), what parts of sendmail (or any mta) must I
> > > have running minimally on localhost.
> >
> >     none. you don't need sendmail to accept mail through fetchmail (just
> >     have it store messages directly in your mailbox instead of pulling
> >     them through sendmail; you get an added bonus of preventing mail
> >     loops in case you manage to misconfigure either part), and you don't
> >     need sendmail to send mail from mozilla, as it has its own
> >     implementation of a smtp client, just like any other clickoid mail
> >     client (IOW, it bypasses the standard, which is passing the message
> >     to sendmail on the command line.)
> >
> >     note however, that disabling sendmail completely will cripple your
> >     system in that you will no longer receive the valuable output from
> >     periodic(8) scripts, and possibly in other areas.
> <big snip>
>
> Why would disabling sendmail cripple all of the periodic scripts?  Other
> than those scripts that relate specifically to an MTA, which others
> would be affected?

    where in the text you quoted did I say that disabling sendmail would
    cripple periodic(8) scripts? I said it would cripple the system in
    that root would no longer receive the output of the periodic
    scripts.

> Also, if you have another MTA just edit /etc/mail/mailer.conf to point
> to your new MTA, as the various invocations of sendmail are just
> wrappers that use the mailer.conf file to determine exactly what they
> should be executing.  I recently left sendmail in favour of Exim.  A
> few tweaks to mailer.conf and one or two minor changes to a few of the
> periodic scripts and everything is in order.

    I was speaking about sendmail, not Sendmail. This part of the
    message was specifically about having system with no *s*endmail. The
    latter half was about disabling {S,s}endmail. I run Postfix on all
    my machines, so I guess I'm quite aware *S*endmail is not exactly
    required.