Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:13:24 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fonts fonts fonts

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 10:58:40AM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Though this is not very FreeBSD specific I'm asking this question here
> anyway hoping to get some pointers or hints:
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 4.1 (in that particular case) with
> XFree86 3.3.6 on a 1600x1200 CRT display.
>
> When using netscape and vistit some sites (e.g. www.nvidia.com -> downloads)
> I'm getting terribly huge fonts making the site looking weird somehow
> and difficult to operate.
>
> What would the best way to go to get the best set of fonts ever.
> TrueType? Mac Fonts? May sites seem to be designed using Mac tools
> and all kinds of fancy fonts.

Definitely install TrueType fonts - for the screen, they are much
better. I don't know if X 3.3.6 can do this, but X 4.1.0 has builtin
TrueType support.

Then install the port x11-fonts/webfonts - you'll find most sites
will look much better after that.

For best results, grab more TTF fonts from a Windows machine [1],
install them, and ditch all 75dpi/100dpi fontpaths.

Also start your X-server with -dpi 100 (in your .xserverrc if
you use startx).

See also more tips in the XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO, at

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/

See also for more tips:

http://home.c2i.net/dark/linux.html#ttf

HTH,

--Stijn

[1] Assuming that you do have a windows license for the PC you're on.

--
I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it.
		-- Edgar Allan Poe