Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:49:28 -0500
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FBSD-11 Jails

Now I am experimenting with jails.  following the instructions found
at
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails-ezjail.html
I have employed ezjail to create a test.  My rc.conf for the host
system looks like this:

# cat /etc/rc.conf
### Networks
hostname=X
ifconfig_vtnet0=Y
defaultrouter=Z
#gateway_enable="YES"             # Enable as ipv4 LAN gateway
#ipv6_gateway_enable="YES"        # Enable as ipv6 LAN gateway

### Virtual IP aliases are defined in strict unbroken numerical order.
ifconfig_vtnet0_alias0="inet 192.168.216.16 netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_vtnet0_alias1="inet 192.168.216.23 netmask 255.255.255.0"

### Firewall
pf_enable="YES"                   # Enable PF firewall on startup
pflog_enable="YES"                # Enable logging
pflog_logfile="/var/log/pflog"    # where pflogd should store the logfile
pflog_flags=""                    # additional flags for pflogd startup

### Services
local_unbound_enable="YES"        # Enable caching only DNS
ntpd_enable="YES"                 # Enable local network time server
postfix_enable="YES"              # Enable Postfix SMTP MTA
sendmail_enable="NONE"            # Disable Sendmail SMTP MTA
sshd_enable="YES"                 # Enable ssh access

### Jailed Services
#jail_enable="NO"                 # Disable starting of any jails
jail_enable="YES"                 # Enable starting of any jails
ezjail_enable="YES"               # Use EZJail to manage
cloned_interfaces="lo1"           # For shared jail configuration
jail_list="hlldrupal"             # Space separated names of jails

### File system
clear_tmp_enable="YES"            # Clear /tmp on boot
#dumpdev="NO"                     # Disable crash dumps
dumpdev="AUTO"                    # Enable crash dumps
zfs_enable="YES"                  # Enable zeta file-system

I used ezjail-admin to create the instance:

#ezjail-admin install
#ezjail-admin create hlldrupal 'lo1|127.0.1.1,vtnet0|192.168.216.196'

and used ezjail-admin console hlldrupal to configure the /etc files as
outlined in the handbook.

However, when I get to the section on updating jails and run the
recommended commands then I see this:

ezjail-admin update -u
src component not installed, skipped
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from
update5.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 11.0-RELEASE-p6.
No updates are available to install.
Run '/usr/sbin/freebsd-update fetch' first.
src component not installed, skipped
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from
update5.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files will be added as part of updating to 11.0-RELEASE-p6:
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Barnaul
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Famagusta
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Tomsk
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Yangon
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Astrakhan
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Kirov
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Ulyanovsk
Installing updates...mkdir: /usr/jails/newjail//boot: No such file or
directory
mtree: /usr/jails/newjail//boot/kernel: No such file or
directorymtree: /usr/jails/newjail//boot/kernel.old: No such file or
directory

touch: /usr/jails/newjail//boot/kernel.old/.freebsd-update: No such
file or directory
Could not create kernel backup directory

So, what is this telling me?  Is there something that I have done or
omitted doing that results in this error; or is there a problem with
the documentation; or is there a problem with ezjail-admin?  How is
this supposed to work?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3