Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:51:35 -0800
From:      "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        "Jon Passki" <jon.passki@hursk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newb alert...

On Jan 30, 2008 6:41 PM, Jon Passki <jon.passki@hursk.com> wrote:
> On 1/30/08, Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com> wrote:

> What was the error, by the way?  This step is what creates the
> password database files.

The error that I saw was:
     Starting jails: cannot start jail "wotan":
     jail: getpwnam: root: no such file or directory

Is that the error you mean?

> > > If possible, can you post all of the steps?
> >

> > # mkdir -p /jails/wotan
> >
> > # setenv D /jails/wotan
> >
> > # cd /usr/src
> >
> > # makeworld DESTDIR=$D && make distribution DESTDIR=$D && mount_devfs
> > devfs $D $D/dev
>
> The mount_devfs isn't necessary, since you're using the /etc/rc.conf
> command below.  Also, I'm assuming you had a space in 'make world'
> above.  The manual page is assuming you aren't necessarily using
> /etc/rc.conf.  Maybe an opportunity to update the manual page :-)

Yes, another typo :) - I'm retyping this by hand, as I'm running
FreeBSD as a VMWare server  guest on a Windows XP host.

Glad I could provide someone with an opportunity! Heh.

> > I then edited /etc/rc.conf to include the lines below.

> I missed this before.  Unless you created a devfs ruleset called
> wotan_ruleset, remove this line.  The /etc/rc.d/jail script will use
> the default jail devfs ruleset.

I saw that, but, ya know, there's nothing that I saw about *where* to
place the ruleset. I'll admit that I haven't read devfs(8) or
devfs.conf(5) pages, though. Perhaps it's explained there.

> > > `/etc/rc.d/jail start wotan`  # notice no forward slash in front of 'start'
> >
> > Yes - that's a typo on my part - I did actually omit the slash at the
> > command line.
>
> :-)
>
> > > Also, I don't see a "jail_exec_start" statement nor a
> > > "jail_wotan_exec_start" statement anywhere.  This could easily cause
> > > problems.  You should have something like:
> > >
> > > jail_wotan_exec_start="/bin/sh /etc/rc"              # command to
> > > execute in jail for starting
> > > jail_wotan_exec_stop="/bin/sh /etc/rc.shutdown"      # command to
> > > execute in jail for stopping
> > >
> > > Somewhere.  If you remove the "wotan" from the above, then that will
> > > be the default setting.
> >
> > Good to know. I'm assuming that they can be put in with the rest of
> > the lines in /etc/rc.conf?
>
> Yep.

Good - I'll do that tomorrow, when I get back to work.

> > > Does /jails/wotan/etc/passwd, /jails/wotan/etc/master.passwd,
> > > /jails/wotan/etc/pwd.db, and /jails/wotan/etc/spwd.db exist?
> >
> > No, I'm afraid not.
>
> This is what's causing the getpwnam error in the first place.
> Basically, your system is saying return the root account information,
> but when it tries to look it up in the password database (defaults to
> the files above, basically), nothing is there.  The make distribution
> should have automatically went into src/etc and created a default
> /jails/wotan/etc/passwd and friends install.
>
> As for the `make distribution DESTDIR=$D` and not changing into
> src/etc, that should be OK.  The Makefile.inc for RELENG_6_2,
> RELENG_6_3, and RELENG_7_0 does it automatically.  The
> src/etc/Makefile for RELENG_6_2, RELENG_6_3, and RELENG_7_0 all
> explicitly create the password database files by calling pwd_mkdb.
> But, you don't have the files...  As you mentioned, an error occurred
> during make distribution.  That to me seems the issue...
>
> Jon

Alright - I'll look at the results again tomorrow, and keep trying, and posting.

Thanks for your help - all of you!

Kurt