Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 11:24:14 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting autoconf to generate configure scripts compatible with BSD make...

In the last episode (Sep 22), Gabriel Ambuehl said:
> If I comment that one out, BSD make will work. Is there any way to
> get autoconf or configure to write BSD make compatible Makefiles in
> first place or am I stuck with either editing the Makefiles myself or
> using gmake (which isn't so much of a problem, I'd simply would find
> it more convenient to be able to build it without gmake as that would
> result in yet another dependency of which the code already got
> plenty...)?

The port of automake is still at 1.4, which can only produce GNUmake
dependency rules (1.5 uses a separate "depcomp" script to generate
portable dependencies).  The quick fix is to add "no-dependencies" to
your AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS line in your Makefile.in:

AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = 1.4 foreign no-dependencies

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com