Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 19:34:02 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        "Ryan Masse" <rmasse@mastery.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup ports | error

On 1/20/01, 6:53:07 PM, "Ryan Masse" <rmasse@mastery.ca> wrote regarding=

CVSup ports | error:

> here's my situation... the last few months i've been cvsup'ing my
ports with
> the '.' tag instead of RELENG_4. It was working beautifully untill
last week
> when i got:

You MUST use the "." (ie "current") tag.

RELENG_4 will cause cvsup to remove your ports tree. There is no
RELENG_4 for ports.

> > cd /usr/ports/www/p5-Apache-ASP
> > make install
> =3D=3D=3D>  p5-Apache-ASP-0.18 : Your system is too old to use this
bsd.port.mk.

Surely you updated your system and/or ports correctly ?

> You n
> eed a fresh make world or an upgrade kit. Please go to
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/po
> rts/ or a mirror site and follow the instructions.
> >

> this error msg would show up when trying to install any port. So i rm
-rf
> /usr/ports and extracted a new copy from the ports.tar.gz file i used
for
> the original then added the RELENG_4 tag in the supfile. I proceeded
> cvsup and during the process it would delete the INDEX, Makefile, and
mk dir
> then proceed to upgrade the ports. So after cvsup'n i'm left with none=

of
> the files it deleted make it impossible now to make search or do a
> pkg_version -c to check which ports need to be upgraded. Anyone know
whats
> happening here?

There are a number of posts on this (and related) subjects, which you
may wish to browse in the archives. This is an answer of... mine,
posted just yesterday to -stable:

On 1/19/01, 11:16:50 AM, Dominic Mitchell <dom@semantico.com> wrote
regarding Re: ports:

> On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 10:02:23PM -0500, Christopher K Davis wrote:
> > W Gerald Hicks <gehicks@cisco.com> writes:
> >
> > > This syndrome is often caused when one uses CVSup to update their
ports
> > > tree a long time after installing from a release.  CVSup will not
> > > normally delete any file it didn't create.  Sometimes this will ca=
use
> > > stale patch file to be left in a port.
> >
> > Would a reasonable test/fix for this be deleting the entire port
directory
> > in question and re-cvsupping?  (This should make cvsup recreate
everything
> > and update its file lists, right?)

> Even better would be to use the cvsupchk tool that comes with cvsup
> (in the contrib directory) to get a list of files that shouldn't be
> there anyway.  Then you can just pass a list to "xargs rm -f".

> It isn't installed by default, but if you still have a copy of the
cvsup
> tarball in /usr/ports/distfiles, it will be in there.  Even the
"binary"
> distributions.

You may wish to take a look at the cvsup FAQ found on
http://www.polstra.com, and pay attention to the discussion in Q12,
Q13.

Mutatis mutandis, the same holds for the ports tree. Since ports are
tagged "." (ie -CURRENT), one can correctly "sync" them for the first
time by adding the *date* keyword (cf cvsup(1) for the exact format):
one should specify a date as close as possible to that of "shipping"
of one's ports tree.

After cvsup has correctly created the ports checkouts file, which is
precisely the goal of this first special synch operation, the date
field must be removed; all subsequent updates will (ahem, should
:-) be performed smoothly.

Both approaches (the tool and the correct synching procedure) have
been discussed countless times on these lists but, as the saying goes,
few people read man pages, and fewer still the mailing list
archives... :-)

Best regards and best of luck,
Salvo