Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 15:20:12 -0700
From:      "Josef C. Grosch" <jgrosch@xsvr2.cup.hp.com>
To:        Barnacle Wes <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

On Jul 17,  3:48pm, Barnacle Wes wrote:
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD keyboard
> jfieber@indiana.edu apparently scrawled:
> > I spent most of the time in the far north, and up to Orkney.  Not
> > too many signs up there.  Of course, there are many places in the
> > states with even fewer.  One of my favorite signs I found when I
> > lived in rural southeast Washington (state) was:
> >
> >       Caution
> >   No Warning Signs
> >     Next 2 Miles
>
> I-70 between Green River and Salinas, Utah, is flanked with the
> following signs:
>
> 	 No Services
> 	Next 100 Miles
>
> Utah Highway Patrol has two troopers who partol this stretch; it's
> amazing the number of people who refuse to acknowlege that "No
> Services" means no gas, no water, no phone, no water, no place to stop,
> nothing but sand and brown sun-baked rocks, and most importantly no
> water.  ;^)
>
> Utahns familiar with the area fall into two camps: one group wants
> to expand the signage so even MS-Windows users can uderstand:
>
> 	   Caution: No services next 100 miles.  No phone, no gas,
>        	!  and *no water.*  There is absolutely *NO WATER* in the
> 	   next 100 miles of highway.
>
> 	Abort		FillUp		Ignore
>
> The other group, whch I belong to, maintains that people who break down
> on this stretch of highway and don't even have drinking water with them
> are too stupid to live, and strengthen our species by removing
> themselves and their offspring the from the gene pool.  Darwinism
> thrives!

On a stretch of particularly nasty road in the Boundary Waters of Northern
Minnesota, there is a blind, one lane, hair pin turn across the face of a rock
cliff. About 2 feet of clearence on either side. On one side, rock wall and the
other side, a fourty foot drop the lake below. At this curve, which is on the
Echo Trail and is know as "Ed Shave",  A number of years ago there was a
warning sign that said:

				Warning
			    Dangerous Curve
			   We're not kidding!

I should add that it is imposible to backup once you are into this turn and
logging truck come barrling around this turn on a regular basis. Last time I
was in Ely, MN. which is near this turn I checked and the road dept had
replaced the sign with one that did not include the last line.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch, 47LG4 |
jgrosch@cup.hp.com  |  "Laugh while you can, monkey boy!"